Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:40:33 +0000
From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
John Wiser writes in reply to William Jenks:

>Surely not L'Archibudelli? If a Sony Vivarte CD, then it is likely to be
>Tafelmusik led by Bruno Weil.  ...

I think you're right there.  In my view the Weil set is good but a bit
overrated.

>My advice: Goodman/Hanover seems to have hung it up after 17 CDs, about
>two-thirds of the total.  All of them are worth investigating.  ...

I thought I read that Goodman had finished the series.  Have to check this
out.

>My personal reaction to Hogwood is that everything is either a little or
>a lot underplayed.  The first six volumes did not persuade me to take the
>investigation any further.  No harpsichord in this series.

It's this individuality that makes the Hogwood set interesting.

>Why does one have to have every dam' note? There are other worthwhile sets
>of more limited scope:

Yep I agree.  One wonders why Haydn marked all these repeats which
occassionaly detract from the impact of the works.  Can anyone shed light
on which editions have them? I can see how Haydn might have wanted to
include repeats to expand individual works for Prince Nicholas' liking
but for general publication? It's odd.

>Pinnock/English Concert: Nos.  6-8 and the "Sturm & Drang" Symphonies
>on a total of seven CDs.  These have a good deal of bite and thrust, and
>plenty of dynamic contrast, but the performances seldom go over the top in
>ways which this music would seem to invite.  [DG Archiv].

I agree here too.  When these came out I waited with bated breath for each
new issue.  Now looking back I find them often bland and understated.  It
has been said that Pinnock achieved his success "by watering down the HIP
message." - HIFI news.

>Orpheus Chamber Orchestra -- distinctly non-HIP -- shows what a couple of
>dozen technically masterful and musically intelligent NY freelancers can
>do when properly motivated.  I come back to these eight CDs over and over,
>with undiminishing delight.  [DG]

I agree here again superb stuff.  But lacks something that authentic
performance has.  Incidentaly I had a CD from this series with corrosion
as well (see my other post).  DG told me it was discontinued so they were
unable to replace it (offered credit).

>Siggy Kuijken with La Petit Bande has recorded at least three CDs variously
>containing symphonies nos.  26/52/53, 88/89/92, and 90/91, satisfactory
>performances is slightly distracting acoustics.  [Virgin Classics].
>With the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, in similar recording
>circumstances, Kuijken has done the "Paris" symphonies respectably [Virgin
>Classics].

In my view the Paris set is the more successfull. There is a certain
astringency about the other recordings.

Bob Draper