Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:04:16 +0800
From:
Lionel Choi <[log in to unmask]>
David Cozy <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>Anyway, which of Ma's recordings do list-members consider superb?

His latest Baroque CD contains among the finest Boccherini I've ever
heard, although the rest of the disc contains forgettable sugary JS Bach
transcriptions, beautifully played though those were, too.

Ma's Saint-Saens Cello Concerto ranks very highly on my list.

Also very fine are his recordings of the cello concertos of Dvorak (both
with Masur and Maazel), Elgar (with Previn), Schumann (with Colin Davis),
Shostakovich No.1, Danielpour, Rouse, Kirchner, and Tavener's The
Protecting Veil (all with Zinman).

Actually, looking at the number of good things he's recorded, perhaps
it might be easier and maybe more helpful to list things to avoid.  From
my own experience, I'd suggest giving these a miss: his Haydn concertos
(refinement and sophistication taken to tiring extremes), the Shostakovich
Cello Sonata (same complaint), and the Piazolla disc (some incredibly good
tracks, but the repertoire chosen lacks variety and ultimately not really
representative of Ma's best work).

Good luck!

Lionel Choi
Singapore