Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 11:00:48 +0000
From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Mimi Ezust replied to me thus (abridged):

>So why not give up Mozart for a few years and go immediately to something
>you do like? Complaining about what you don't enjoy is hardly what I'd
>call a fascinating contribution.  Is someone forcing you? Are you being
>compelled to listen to Mozart against your will? Are the classical police
>after you, enforcing hard earwork and brainwork? ...

There have also been similar postings on the subject of criticizing
composers/conductors/works.  Here's my reply:

The reason I wrote this piece is that the two works have a lot of
similarities and it was interesting to compare them.

When I go into my local CD store I see an entire row of cds of Mozart's
music and 10 rows devoted to every other composer that has ever lived.
When I check the schedules for the main UK classical radio station, again,
I find that 10% of their output is Mozart.  There is something by him
nearly every day.  Yet you'd often have to wait years to hear something by
Weber.

Further I am constantly reading that Mozart's work is the highest form of
art.  Annoyingly to me, Trevor Pinnock after completing his Haydn Sturm und
Drang series went on to record some late Mozart symphonies and described
them as "the greatest music ever written".  Also, when the first issue of
the magazine 'Classic CD' came out a professor of music said that "everyone
must appreciate Mozart" and that "those who don't must be behaving in a
childish way".  (Needless to say this got some brickbats.)

Such statements seem to be made in absolute sense, no subjectivity about
it.  Also, usually little if any analysis is given to justify the view.
You will, however, notice that when I give an opinion about a piece of
music I usually make it clear the it is, just that, my opinion.

Children are being brought up to believe that Mozart is the top man in
classical music.  Thus, perpetuating the perception rather like a religion
is passed on from generation to generation.

I believe that Mozart Mania is doing damage to music itself.  My wife is
not into classical music, but she loves Stravinsky.  However, she would
never had heard him if it weren't for me.  Most newcomers to the classical
scene (I reckon) consider that Mozart IS classical music.  They buy a cd
or two listen to it get bored and drift back to pop. If we had a more
even playing field this would not happen.  (You can verify this theory by
looking at the record collections of music lovers who like mainly pop)

In such a climate of massive hype I feel compelled to give an alternative
view.  And, as you suggest many people come out and, almost apologetically,
tell me that they agree.

I, myself, am fascinated as to why I have such a blind spot here when I
find most other composers output enjoyable.  And, to a certain extent I am
trying to work this through.  It is not necessary for me to tell you that
I don't enjoy other composers work because everyone accepts that they are
lesser composers so no one expects me to.

I view this group as a bit like chatting in a street cafe.  Would you only
say positive things in such a conversation? How many negative things do you
say in day? That's reality the world's not perfect.

Are your really suggesting that every single posting to this group should
be positive? That would be like Newspapers giving only good news - not
truthful and not interesting.

I think that if you examine some of my other postings you will find that
many have been positive.  Remember I have already mentioned that there are
some Mozart works I do like.

Why do I keep buying the mans music when I don't usually like it? There are
two reasons for this.  Firstly; the publicity has got to me too and feel
there must be something there somewhere.  Secondly; how can I justify my
stance until I have at least heard the majority of the composer's output?

My aim has not been to upset any Mozart fans.  Rather to show that other
views exist, in spite of the fact that expressing them is viewed by some
as sacrilege.

Bob Draper