Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:42:34 +0100
From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
TURE RANGSTROEM by Dr. Axel Helmer
(Carlssons/Royal Musical Academy of Sweden)

NOTE: THE BOOK IS IN SWEDISH

This is the very first biography on the Swedish composer TURE RANGSTROEM
(1884-1947).  His songs and his symphonies have been recorded rather
frequently for the last 20 years, so it is surprising that we had to wait
that long for a biography.  His opera "Kronbruden" ("the Crowned Bride") is
a direct adaption (word by word) of the first four acts of Strindberg's
play.  A TV-version (of the opera) was produced in 1990, and the opera was
also staged in Malmoe, Sweden less than a year ago.

First, some negative criticism: Rangstroem's character is analysed in
some detail, but at times I think the author is judging R:s actions from
a moral point of view.  It seems like R.  was aware of his weaknesses, but
he couldn't resist his inner driving force.  He seems to have been a very
passionate man, and he wasn't the man who could forgive and forget.  In
that sense he was even worse than Peterson-Berger.

The book does not try to put Rangstroem's music in context, and that's
fine, because his music is highly original.  But in the middle of the book,
the author suddenly feels urged to state that Stenhammar is a superior
composer to Rangstroem.  He also discuss a setting of a poem and concludes
that Stenhammar's setting is more subtle.  To me, it seems like these
statements were added by the Royal Musical Academy.  Also Stenhammar's
opinions are regarded as neutral and objective whereas Rangstroem's
opinions are regarded as emotional and subjective.  After this incident,
the author return back to normal.  Some positive judgements about
Rangstroem's music are hidden at the end of each chapter or sometimes you
will have to read between the lines.  Apart from this negative criticism,
the book is well written and many of Rangstroem's work are discussed in
some detail.  From the postscript, it is evident that Axel Helmer has got
a good grasp of his subject.  A complete (?) list of work and writings (R.
also wrote some poetry) is also included, but unfortunately no discography.

I really hope that this book will be translated in the future.

Mikael