Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 19:01:26 -0500
From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Julia Werthimer wrote:

>...  Leaving aside the fact that Bocelli does not have the technique to
>sing opera - there are already far too many opera singers whose idea of
>performance is to stand on the stage and just sing, forgetting that opera
>is a dramatic medium that requires effective acting as well as singing.
>Bocelli is clearly going to add to that number; and because he is so
>popular he will reinforce the idea of opera as something static, rather
>than the vibrant art it should be.

Or, like Joseph Schmidt, too short to make a convincing presentations on
a stage of the roles he was otherwise qualified to sing, he could confine
himself to opera recordings, if he did indeed have the technique to sing
opera (which I don't know) and if his inability to follow the conductor
could be worked around.

Walter Meyer