Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 20:12:29 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Mimi Ezust wrote concerning Bach's violin sonatas & partitas:

>Sergiu Luca has a very interesting HIP set.  Not to everyone's taste,
>because he plays everything very differently from any other performer.
>I practically wore out the grooves of the vinyl recordings we had.  It's
>been out in cd for several years.  Highly recommended, but only for the
>adventurous.

I must be adventurous.  I've had the cd set for a few years, and it is
a fine performance.  I'm not sure, however, what Mimi feels is so unique
about the interpretations.  Most other baroque violin recordings I have
heard are also distinctive.

Anyways, Luca is on Nonesuch, and represents a fine acquisition.

As an aside, I'm going to have to think some about Mimi's recommendation
that I get the Tchaikovsky piano works.  I am familiar with the Seasons
and was not enamored.  But, time marches on, and preferences do change.

Don Satz