Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 23:58:43 -0400
From:
Brad Leissa <[log in to unmask]>
Christoph Graupner (1683-1760) isn't a household name as composers go.
Indeed, some may only be familiar with Graupner from JS Bach biographical
information:  as the second composer to turn down the position of
Thomaskantor in Leipzig before it went to Bach.  (Georg Philipp Telemann
was offered the position first but turned it down.  Graupner's landgrave
refused to let him take the Leipzig position AND gave him a raise.  Not
bad...)

This introduction is to provide some context to a new recording release
(released in May) which has become one of my desert island discs.  (My
desert island discs consist of music composed from the pre-romantic
periods.)

The first section, an overture in G, is simple in structure but uniquely
contrived with a generous use of horns and an interesting use of trilling
flutes in one of the movements.

The overture is followed by a cantata.  Although the cantata was recorded
13 years prior to the overtures, the recorded sound is more than adequate
-- perhaps lacking a bit of the sparkle replete in the more recently
recorded overtures.  Barbara Schlick is in top form here.  In the past
most of my experience with Schlick has been positive, however, in some
recordings, I've had my doubts.  No complaints here.  She is very
comfortable with this music.

The last section, the second overture, is the crowning glory of this
recording.  It 's difficult to describe.  You need to hear it for yourself.
The first movement begins as a noble march which quickly turns into a romp
in the hay.  The remaining movements vary considerably in design.

The proponents of this recording (members of Das Kleine Konzert and Hermann
Max) are to be congratulated.  The works on this recording are lushly and
meticulously performed.  All of Max's previous recordings are limited
German baroque choral works.  The all-instrumental overtures represent a
new recording venture for him.  (I hope he records more instrumental
pieces.)

The recording details are:

CD title: "Overtures and Cantata"
1 - Ouverture a 2 corni di selva, tympani, 2 violini, viola e cembalo in G
(G 14)
2 - Cantata: "Es begab sich, dass Jesus in eine Stadt mit Namen Nain
ging" -- for four voices, two chalumeaux, oboe, strings, and b.c.
3 - Ouverture a 2 flauti traversi, 2 violini, 2 viola e cembalo in D (D 5)

Barbara Schlick, soprano
Hein Meens, tenor
Stephen Varcoe, bass
Das Kleine Konzert
Rheinische Kantorei (only for the final chorale from the cantata)
Hermann Max, director

CPO 999 592-2

The overtures were recorded in 1996. The cantata was recorded in 1983.

Brad Leissa, M.D.
Bethesda, Maryland, USA
http://www.intr.net/bleissa