Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 15:44:28 -0500
From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
James Tobin [SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>In a recent thread on late great works I listed one of Britten's last
>works, Suite on English Folk Tunes: "A Time There Was," without getting a
>rise out of anybody.  ...  Anyone know this work?

Yep.  I first got it on a Columbia lp with Bernstein conducting the NY
Phil.  It was coupled with the 4 Sea Interludes.  Since then, I've bought
CDs by Rattle and Hickox.  It may have confused the audience, expecting
another Young Person's Guide perhaps.  It definitely is a comparatively
subdued work, like much of late Britten, but, I agree, very beautiful.

Steve Schwartz