Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 12:29:32 -0500
From:
Joseph Previte <[log in to unmask]>
First, it matters WHICH recordings you have in order to advise what
additional recordings to suggest.  If you are seeking no duplications (or
as few as possible) the puzzle as which other recordings to suggest becomes
more complicated.  I am going to make my suggestions based on the premise
that is not the fact.

Sonatas for violin and piano:  Lupu/Goldberg on Decca or Perlman/Barenboim
on DG (complete) - wonderful, enlightening, uplifting music.

Piano Sonatas:  (complete) Walter Klein (VoxBox), Lili Kraus (Sony) - I
prefer the Kraus marginally over the Klein, but the Kraus is hard to find.

Piano Concertos:  (complete) Geza Anda.  Alernatively, try Casadesus's 3 cd
box on Sony, any of Anda's individual accounts.

Die Zauberfloten:  Haitink on Decca - phenomenal, fabulous, wonderful.

Serenades/Divertimentos (complete):  Orpheus Chamber Orchestra on DG - same

Clarinet/Oboe concertos:        Hogwood/Pay (can't recall clarinetist) on an
associated DG label.

Late Symphonies: (21-41) Marriner (Philips - difficult to top)

Piano 4-hand and duet:  Argerich/Rabinovitch on Teldec - love it, over
the top performances.  Not what you would call a period performance.

Good luck!

Joseph Previte