Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 20:27:08 -0700
From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Paul Geffen discusses Kenneth Gaburo:

>Of the three composers represented, only Gaburo is well known.  He is
>an American, born in New Jersey, studied at the Eastman School and the
>University of Illinois, and taught at the University of California at San
>Diego.  Phonetics and linguistics are fundamental concepts in his later
>works, which also use mathematics and the aleatoric methods of John Cage.

My college choir premiered a piece of Gaburo's entiled "Enough--not enough"
for voices and percussion.  (Steven Schick was the percussionist.)  Words,
IIRC were from a document by Ben Franklin.

I have to admit I was mystified by the piece and I will never forget one of
my professors, Dr. Steven Gilbert, (some of you may have enjoyed talking to
him on Cafe Mozart), walking out rather noisily in the middle.  The words
are simply chanted (S-L-O-W-L-Y), with some occasional vocal coloring
,while the percussionist reacts to the rhythm of the words.

Our choir took this piece to Russia during the Presidential Summit in 1988.
We performed it in various locals including Moscow and St. Petersberg and
many small towns in between.  The Russian people were very gracious as we
made our way through Gaburo's 30min+ piece.  Of all the pieces we could
introduce.....W-H-Y T-H-I-S O-N-E?

John Smyth