Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 17:24:29 -0500
From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Schwartz on classical radio in the USA writes:

>In the US, there are pockets here and there.  There's a wonderful
>classical station in Austin, Texas, run by volunteers, among them our own
>Karl Miller.  Cleveland, Ohio, butt of many a standup comic's jokes, has
>more than two, at least one of them commercial.  It seems to be the big
>markets that have trouble.

Boston, for example.  WGBH is barely o.k., WRCB very bland (but they are
better after midnight) Then there is WHRB which is great, uniquely so
during orgy time (otherwise known as study period.) They just finished a
Schnittke orgy, have done Schumann, have Franck, Chausson, and, finally,
Mahler scheduled, interpersed with rock, pop, jazz orgies.

An Orgy in this context is a survey of an entire output with special
attention to historical performances, etc. It is a moving experience to
contemplate the end of such a journey.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University