Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 16:36:44 -0700
From:
"Harold C. Verdun" <[log in to unmask]>
Much "ink" has been spilt over the past year about the drought in classical
music programming over the radio in the United States.  While I generally
agree with everything that has been said, I would be remiss if I did not
point out what "may be" an exception or at least a reversal in trend.
While reading a software download list yesterday, I came across an
interesting link: http://www.internetradiolist.com/  Intrigued, I pursued
the link and found a whole laundry list of radio stations in a variety of
formats-far more extensive than broadcast.com.  The links are categorized
so naturally I pulled the classical stations-33 to be exact.  Most were
unfamiliar, particularly the overseas stations, but the few I tried did
work.  To make what could be a long story short, I was surprised to find
WGMS on the net.  WGMS is my station of record-the station that "taught"
me classical music.  In the late 50's and early 60's, WGMS was my window
to the world.  It also published a fairly decent program guide, before
computers and before advertising, that, if not free, was quite cheap.  It
listed dates, times, artists, record numbers, and it had a cross-referenced
index.  Not bad for 1960.  Anyway, times change.  I moved away.  The
station changed owners several times and discovered that it could jam 40
minutes of commercials into one hour by cutting back on the music.  On
my trips back to the District, I have tuned in but it has not been the
same-too Hollywood for my tastes.  So, why am I boring you with this
missive? Primarily because I want you to make up your own mind about the
station.  It is not bad as 1990's classical music stations go.  It does
still broadcast two programs of note-one called Guest Conductor which
broadcasts the favorite music of Washington society-always a hoot to listen
to what they say they listen to.  Second, Paul Hume, music critic of the
Washington Post, used to host an opera program on the weekends.  I suspect
he still does if he is still active in the music life of D.C.  Also, I must
direct your attention to their program guide-a model of how computer
technology can be used to serve the music-a marvel of information that
I hope does not go the way of DOS.  Rather than explain it, find the
station's home page and click on the link-you will be amazed.  Finally, a
few deficiencies-by their own admission, their signal is not the best-it
cuts out quite frequently but they are working on it?!.  Second, expect
commercials and "bleeding chunks" during "drive time".  Either don't listen
or hit the mute button.  As I said, it's not a bad station-not sure if I
would classify it with WFMT but it works for me-maybe the nostalgia-when
they give traffic reports-I know what they are talking about and am glad
I don't live there any more.

Harold C. Verdun