Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 08:22:35 -0400
From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Derek Lim wrote:

>Hi, I would like some recommendations for Liszt's B-minor Sonata.  I notice
>on classical net a recording by John Browning (Delos) How good is this and
>how does it "stack up" to the other "standard" recordings?

Back in the days when we had the "CD Of The Month Discussion" we reviewed
Martha Argerich's reissued debut recording which had as a filler the Liszt
B Minor Sonata.  Her account is very expressive.  Krystian Zimmerman's is
a powerful account that is disciplined yet very virtuosic.  His speed in
the fugato is swift and dazzling but accurate.  Both of these are DG
recordings.

This is truly an amazing piece.  As a sonata with three key harmonic areas,
it can also be treated symphonically with four standard movements.

Mark