Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 12:35:53 +0800
From:
Lionel Choi <[log in to unmask]>
Derek Lim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi, I would like some recommendations for Liszt's B-minor Sonata.  I notice
>on classical net a recording by John Browning (Delos) How good is this and
>how does it "stack up" to the other "standard" recordings?

Browning's was actually one of the first that I ever got to hear.  It's an
absorbing performance, though I find the closeness and twangy quality of
the piano sound rather difficult to take.

My preferred versions are Richter (Philips), Curzon (Decca), Gilels (RCA)
and Argerich (DG), though the latter's wild outbursts might not be to all
tastes, but it's certainly very thrilling...  maybe good only for those
special occasions.

I understand that Pletnev did a magnificent job on Olympia (or was it
Melodiya, I can't remember), but I have yet to hear that.  Anyhow, his
recent remake on DG should be avoided, unless you enjoy dry, sonically
unsophisticated pianism.

If you can wait, Stephen Hough will be releasing his version sometime at
the end of the year.  If it should sound anything like his Liszt survey on
Virgin, then it should be quite worth listening to.

Lionel Choi
Singapore
http://www.singnet.com.sg/~lionelc/dummies.html