Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 22:25:34 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
D. Stephen Heersink and/or Don Vroon wrote:

>First, classical music is elitist, and we have no need to make
>apologies.

I agree with the second propostion, not the first.  I don't think that
music has the capability to possess elitist characteristics.  However,
humans have a large capacity to do so.

To be honest, I'm getting tired of this elitist business and think that
it's the classical music lovers who have a problem with this concept, not
the general population.  I love classical music, and I don't concern myself
with how that fact is perceived by others.  Don Vroon, on the other hand,
engulfs himself in elitism as some kind of badge of honor.  Why can't we
just compose, perform, and listen to music which we consider great?

Don Satz