Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 08:12:15 -0500
From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Steve M.:

>What I have heard by Korngold I have enjoyed but I have heard very little.
>I am interested in checking out some of his music.  Your mission should you
>choose to accept it is to pass on recommendations to me.  These should be
>of recordings available in the States.  In this way I too can come to know
>this composer.  This e-mail will self destruct in 30 seconds.

If you hurry, you can still get the 4-CD cpo set of Korngold from Berkshire
Record Outlet for an absurdly small sum.  It contains all of his major
orchestral music.  If this is a bit daunting, I can recommend the following:

Violin Concerto - Heifetz, Shaham
Symphony - Kempe, Welser-Moest
Piano Concerto (lh) - Shelley/Bamert

I would avoid Mauceri on London - flaccid, mushy performances.  Litton on
Dorian is okay, but no more.

Steve Schwartz