Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:23:57 -0400
From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
David Stewart wrote:

>Donald Satz wrote:
>
>>2 to 3 weeks.  However, Zemlinsky's been on my radar for approximately
>>one year.  I'm still trying to figure it out.

GEt the Lyric Symphony with Chailly, Flor, even Sinopoli, Jordan, or the
Gielen on Arte Nova, among the ones available.  Klee is good too.  Chailly
may be the best all round.  Sinopoli and Flor are slow, but the music can
take it.  Jordan is quite colorful.  Gielen is sharpest and most exciting.

And a recording I've been pushing for some time:  Die Seejungrau with
Dausgaard.

Start with those.  Then the operas and quartets, maybe.  The symphonies are
early, not bad, but before Zemlinsky became Zemlinsky.

Incidentally, Conlon has recorded a lot of Zemlinsky.  It's okay, but often
the competition is better.  When there is competition.

Roger Hecht