Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:04:50 -0700
From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
James Kearney quotes John Williams:

>The big change that has come recently is that at last a large part of the
>classical world has become aware that, hey, there are many other big worlds
>of music out there to be acknowledged.

Ok people, I know I joke around a lot, but this time I'm completely
serious.  I've talked previously about Western music drawing a very
distinct line between audience and performer, while in the rest of the
world music is still very ritualistic, ie., everyone participates
unashamedly in one capacity or another.

Does anyone think that, as modern CM composers have increasingly
incorporated elements of World music, (aleatoric or improvisational stuff,
rhythmic ostinatos or free rhytm, more percussion, etc.); the music just
isn't strong enough for vicarious listening anymore? Wouldn't I enjoy Reich
or Cage more if I were banging on an instrument too?

John Smyth