From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:37:31 PDT
Jo McManus wrote

> I did not say that the honey gets it's  flavor from the fruit, but from the flower of
> the fruit. The nectar of the flower of whatever fruit it's from is what determines > the flavor.

Here in Australia this is called floral varities.  Honey is quite often sold under it's flora label e.g. ironbark, yellow box, clover etc.  It even appears on the supermarket shelves in floral types.  It is sold for a dearer price than the blended honeys.

Of course the problem is that unscrupluous people can substitute other honeys that are not true floral types and charge the higher price.  We in Australia are funding research that is curently looking at "finger printing" the different floral types of honey so that if someone has a doubt that they are getting that floral type, it can be checked.

In other parts of the world, I know they do pollen analysis but a lot of our Eucalypts do not produce pollen e.g. yellow box, brown box and some ironbarks.  Also, we can have honey from one plant and pollen from another e.g. honey from brown box ( called grey box in southern Australia) and pollen from peach bush which produces next to no honey.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA