From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 00:54:20 -0400
Tim Sterrett wrote:

> In practice, the cappings are a mess and take much longer to deal
> with than extracted honey.
>    How are they separated in an economical way that recovers as much
> honey as possible from them?
>    (Cappings melters are available that use heat to separate the wax
> from the honey.)
>    Cappings can be cleaned by soaking in water or the wax can be
> separated by heating the cappings over water. Keep the wax away from
> open flame.

I agree for sure with the first statement here.  I have a Better Way
cappings melter, but am always fearful that the intense heat from the
electric element (3000 watts) might start a fire.  I also have soaked
cappings in water, after letting the honey drip, to wash out excess honey,
but know that this is very wasteful.  It does make it easier however when
the cappings are melted.

This year I called my local honey processor, Groeb Farms in Onsted,
Michigan.  I found that they will render cappings for a small charge of
$30, which will usually be more than covered by sale of the beeswax and
honey recovered. (They will buy it, or let the customer pick it up for sale
elsewhere.)  This I feel will be very much worth it, since I have a lot of
cappings and hate the mess involved.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA