From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:51:48 -0500
John Mitchell wrote:

 When Danka says
> nonproductive, does that apply to the time after invasion when the colony
> becomes a fully functioning Cape bee colony?

Hi John,
I asked a noted researcher the same question. He said the problem with
Apis Mellifera capensis is the ability to produce females (workers &
queens) by parthenogenesis. Thelytoky is the origin of females from
unfertilized eggs. The Cape Bee is well known for the ability of its
workers to parthenogenetically produce diploid workers as well as
haploid drones. This results from the regeneration of a diploid nucleus
soon following meiosis of the egg.

Hope the above answers  your question.

Happy Beekeeping,
Bob Harrison U.S.A.