From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 11:52:12 -0400
On 28 May 99, at 11:35, Aaron Morris wrote:
> > I have found that the first days when the cell is capped, the larvae is
> > still feeding from the jelly at the top of the cell and will fall down
> > and die if the cell is handled roughly. If I have to touch cells at that
> > time (cell protectors to avoid waxing up) I hold them upside down.
> >
> It was over two years ago when I took Sue Cobey's queen rearing
> course so I am not sure of the timing.  However, the concern for
> gentle handling of queen cells does not regard the larvae stage
> (although the concern pointed out by P-O is valid), the time when it
<snip>
> down or "manhandled" in any way.   I cannot say with assuredness what day
> that is, but it is close to the emergence date of the queen (a day or two
> prior, I think closer to two).  I'm saying right up front that these
> guesses are not reliable.  Perhaps Dave Eyre can/will assist, otherwise
> hit the books.

I vowed some time ago never to post to Bee-L again, mainly because of
posts which 'disappeared' due to moderation, wasted time spent writing
them and the 'snide' remarks they drew. Now at Aaron's request I'll join
the fray on this one.
        I believe the original request was for information on transporting cells?
We have found the best way is sawdust. We place a bottle of hot water in
the bottom of a container, cover with a good layer of sawdust, allow the
dust to warm before making a hole with your finger and adding the cell. We
firmly believe that temperature shock is the biggest killer of cells, mind
you, a gentle hand on handling is essential. We once dropped a cell,now we
would destroy it, on noting which mini-nuc it went into just as an
experiment, it was interesting to see a virgin with stubs for wings.
        There was a comment about using cell protectors to prevent 'waxing up' or
webbing as it's also called. I much prefer to give the hive a sheet of
foundation about 3-4 frames away from the graft frame, this draws the wax
makers away and prevents webbing.
        Any interference during cell production should be avoided.Once we have
checked the acceptance on the second day after grafting we don't touch the
frame again. To pull the frame and risk temp fluctuation is foolish, and
you'll knock off nurse bees and interupt production, especially if using
smoke.
        FWIW.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
http://www.beeworks.com
This months special:-New style foundation.