From:
Amy Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 17:48:00 -0700
Hi there,

     I'm a brand new beekeeper (barely emerged from my cell!) and I just
found and cut out two supersedure cells in my new hive.  I know it was a
supersedure cell because it was a queen cell in the middle of the upper
third of the frame, right on the face.  There were also between eight to a
dozen swarm cells that I also cut out.  I have a number of questions about
the supersedure cells:

      Does the presence of these supersedure cells mean that my hive is not
queenright?
          (I have not yet seen the queen.  I'm new and still clumsy, I may
have accidentally squished her, or I may just not have seen her.)

       Should I requeen the hive, or let another supersedure cell form?

        What if anything, did I do wrong?

 Information about the hive:

        It is a starter hive with about 12 frames of brood in brand new
Western supers (I'm going with all one size hive boxes).  I've had the hive
for about two weeks.   I'm feeding 1:1 sugar syrup, and the brood pattern
looks even, and the bees are filling and drawing the comb.  (Bear in mind
I'm not an expert here).  Bees are emerging, and there seem to be more bees
now than there were a week ago.  They don't seem particularly aggressive or
flighty.  I haven't noticed a lot of suspicious hanging about the hive
entrance or anything.

Many thanks for any advice you can give me!

Amy Thomson