From:
John Burgess <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burgess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:41:03 -0000

>DNA EVIDENCE OF THE ORIGIN OF 'VARROA' JACOBSONI OUDEMANS IN THE
>AMERICAS
>
>Author(s):
>DE GUZMAN LILIA I
>RINDERER THOMAS E
>STELZER JOHN A
>
>established that mites from the United States were genetically the same
>as those mites from eastern Russia and Europe, and not South American
>mites .....These genetic differences may correlate with the varied
>levels of virulence of 'varroa' mites on their bee hosts.

If Africanised honey bees migrating to N. America bring with them the less
virulent strains of varroa found in S. America, then studies claiming to
show resistance of honeybees to varroa will need to identify to type of
varroa .
Perhaps we shouldn't get too enthusiastic about claims of resistance which
are not accompanied by info on the mites themselves.