From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 13:53:47 +0200
Bob Kasenchuck:

>I am currently playing with the Santa Fe Community Orchestra (a volunteer
>ameteur orch) here in town.  We are playing, among other things, Copland's
>'Rodeo' and the conductor has started an argument.  Is it pronounced:
>
>RO-de-o (long e)
>or
>Ro-DE-o (short e, more like an "a" sound)

Neither.

Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Copland himself pronounced it "RO-dee-o."  I heard it from his very own
>lips, more than once.

To discuss pronouncation questions with the list makes me go nuts, as
English speakers don't seems to realize that they are almost, if not
completely (what I suspect), alone in the world in pronouncing the wowels
in their way. Is Mister Copland pronouncing what he likes to call his own
work or does he take attention to how the WORD Rodeo is pronounced?

Is the total duration of Beethovens 9. 45 or 70 minutes? Tempi passati.

When someone writes RO-dee-o, he probably refers to the pronouncation
RO-dii-o, and this could only only only be English/American.  But it is a
Hispanic word and therefore my vote goes for Ro-DEE-o, long E, with NOT an
"i-sound" E, but with E as in Eric.

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>