From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 15:02:51 PDT
Kevin Sutton wrote in response to me:

>>...the Kirchbaum on Virgin is performed on period cello.  It is
>>an excellent performance.
>
>I have no reason to doubt your word, Don, but are you sure? It sounds like
>a modern instrument to me and I have never known Kirschbaum to be a period
>instrument kind of guy.

There's only three things I am sure of.  A woman enters my home every
evening, claiming to be my wife; I suppose she is, since she behaves like
my wife, but whenever I ask her to produce our marriage certificate, she
quickly changes the subject.  Second, another woman enters my home every
Friday morning, claiming to be my housekeeper; the only problem is that
she also behaves like my wife.  Third, I gave a lift to a young adult
female hitchhiker the other day who said she would like to be my wife.
Albuquerque sure is a friendly town.  Assuming I outlive my wife, whoever
she is, finding a good replacement within a few days should not be
difficult.  I remember Thomas Jones, fellow list-member, asking how my
marriage was doing.  Which one?

Now to serious confusion.  I have not listened to the Kirschbaum for about
2 years; I thought it was on period cello, thought it sounded that way, and
remembered reading reviews indicating period cello.  I spent 15 minutes
trying to find the recording, but given my helter-skelter storage method,
didn't locate it.  So, I called a highly knowledgeable sales clerk friend
of mine at his place of employment; he was not sure and broke open a copy
to read the liner notes.  He told me that the notes just don't pin it down,
but that he doubts Kirchbaum would use a period instrument.  I told him of
the reviews I had read a few years ago; he remembered them also and
concluded that it could go either way.

I think we have a real 'find" here, a recording of the cello suites which
can be loved by period and modern fans alike.  The best thing is that each
party can claim that "their" kind of instrument is being used.

Kevin, I wish I could be more helpful.  Someone should contact Ralph
Kirchbaum; he might remember.  Could it be a period cello without gut
strings?

Don Satz