From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 13:54:30 PDT
Kevin sutton responded to Noboru Inoue:

>>What is the best CD for Bach' Cello Suite ever?  It's Pablo Casals.
>
>Well, that one is splendid, but I really like the set by Ralph
>Kirchbaum.

Kevin didn't mention it, but the Kirchbaum on Virgin is performed on a
period cello.  It is an excellent performance.

In recent years a significant number of sets have been recorded on period
instruments: Bylsma on Sony Vivarte, Bruns on Opus 111, Jaap ter Linden
on Harmonia Mundi, Wispelwey on Channel Classics, and Dieltiens on Accent.

All of the above are fine or better.  My favorite is Bylsma followed by
Dieltiens.  Objectively, I realize that Dieltiens is too low-key, but I
find his performance perfect for late at night.  I would call it the tired
person's relaxing supplement.  Or, you could just take valium.

Don Satz