From:
Maciej Dziekiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 12:27:16 +0200
Ray Bayles wrote:

>Movie scores and musical sound tracks are forms of pop music.  They have
>their place and I have a large number of such recordings in my collection.
>But I don't see how they deserve discussion on this list.

Just beacuse some of them feature qualities that are so precious in
classical music.  For example John Williams score for "Hook" - Track 16
"The Ultimate War" - I wish there were many classical composers capable of
painting such beautiful, rich and complex pictures.  I find this piece of
film music a masterwork and one of the very best he ever wrote.  The way
he orchestrates his ideas reveals the skill comparable to Beethoven's.  In
Missa Solemnis Beethoven sometimes changes ideas every 10 seconds and each
way picks a new way to orchestrate them.  Williams does the same and his
ease in doing in it brings only Beethoven to my mind.

Williams music is regretfully not of the same value but is definitely
masterly written and as far as the borders beetween it and strict classical
music are hard to define, taking into consideration works of many classical
composers that sound like film music, it fully deservs discussion and
attention of listmembers.

Maciej Dziekiewicz