From:
John Halbrooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 07:44:39 -0500
My wife heard a piece on the radio by Beethoven yesterday.  It was called
"Six Easy Variations on a Swiss Air in F." When she told me about it, I was
surprised that I had never heard of it.  I went through my several discs
that include Beethoven Variations, and I couldn't find it.  I went to the
online lists of works (both with and without opus numbers), and I couldn't
find anything with that exact title.  In the WoO list, there were several
entries titled "Variations for piano, " so I suppose that it could have
been one of those.  Does anyone know anything about this little piece:
history, publication, good recording(s)?

Thanks in advance.

John Halbrooks

 [From the Beethoven page at Classical Net we find:

   6 Variations on a Swiss Air in F Major, WoO. 64 (1793)

 They are relatively rarely recorded, but these variations are included
 in the Vox set of the complete (?) piano music played by Brendel which
 includes many of these less well-known works, also recommended at
 Classical Net.  -Dave]