HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kerry Ogata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 1995 14:05:39 EDT
Here's an incomplete list of some of the schools which have a
specialization in historical archaeology.  My opinion is based on both
my own research and what others told me, so it's pretty subjective,
I'm sure.  :) The best thing for you to do (as someone has already
pointed out) is decide what your area of interest is:  French,
Spanish, or European archaeology...plantation archaeology...urban
archaeology...maritime archaeology...there are many possibilities!
After you decide, then you should look at schools that have faculty
members who are doing what you're interested in.  Read their articles,
talk to them, meet with them (if possible) and decide if you'd like
to work with them.  I learned during my search (and am still learning)
that it's very important to 1) visit where you want to go and talk
to students that are in the programs and 2) make sure the people
you want to study with are going to be there for a while.

This list is off the top of my head, so I'm sure I left out some
good schools and information!  The guide published by the Society
for Historical Archaeology is valuable.  I think it leaves a few
places out, though.

My thoughts:

University of South Carolina (where I am, so I know the most about it)
has a program where you can study HA.  Dr. Leland Ferguson is here.
He does African American archaeology, Colono Ware, and plantation stuff.
There are some opportunities at the South Carolina Instititute for
Archaeology and Anthropology (where Stanley South is) which is
sort of connected with the USC department.  Unfortunately, USC
only offers an MA at the moment, which requires coursework, a field
school, comprehensive exams, and a thesis.  If you like snow and
cold weather, USC may not be for you!

University of Maryland, College Park (where I got my BA) offers an
MAA (master of applied anthropology).  You can study HA with
Mark Leone (African American archaeology, Annapolis archaeology,
theoretical studies) and John Seidel there (who's done work with
Revolutionary War sites, as well as in Annapolis, and I believe
some underwater stuff).  This program requires an internship and
paper, but no thesis.  I'm not sure about comps.  There's no PhD
yet, but I hear they're working hard on getting one.

University of Florida has a PhD where you can study HA.  Kathleen
Deagan is there.  She does Spanish colonial archaeology.

University of Nevada, Reno has a PhD.  Donald Hardesty does HA
with mining camps and other Western historical sites.

University of Virginia is where James Deetz is now.  I assume you
could study HA there.  They offer a PhD.

Boston Univeristy offers a PhD in Archaeology.  They have faculty
in HA, including Mary Beaudry (who is on this list).

I have heard Columbia University in New York is a good place to
study HA.  Nan Rothschild is there.  They offer a PhD.

University of Pennsylvania (Robert Schuyler is there) offers a
PhD.  I think it's a joint program with American Studies or
something like that.

Syracuse (Doug Armstrong is there, he does African American and
colonial work in Jamaica) offers a PhD.

SUNY Binghamton (where Randy McGuire is) offers a PhD.

College of William and Mary (offers MA) is big in colonial archaeology.
They are supposed to be very good in teaching colonial artifacts,
lab techniques, and the like.  I've heard they don't require a
thesis, but I'm not sure.

UMass Amherst (offers PhD) is a very theoretical department.  I know
a couple of people there are studying HA.

UMass Boston (offers MA) has Stephen Mrozowski (I'm sure I butchered
that).  He does HA, I believe.

University of Tennessee (offers PhD) has a huge anthropology department.
I've heard it's easy to get lost there, but I've also heard they
have a good HA emphasis.

University of Maine (has a joint program for MA with History Dept.)
Alaric Faulkner is there; he does French historical stuff.

Well, that's all that I can remember at the moment.  If you need help
deciding on an area of specialization, I'd suggest leafing through
the journal Historical Archaeology and seeing what authors you like
who are doing what you're interested in, and find out where they
are located.

doing my part to break the silence,  :)
Kerry