From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:28:29 PDT
John Smyth wrote:

>When I managed the Classical Room of a CD store in Davis, CA, I found that
>Early Music, Baroque Music, and Classical went out the door the most.

That's sure different from my experiences working in a classical music
department.  Yes, early music sales were fairly brisk, but that was
a temporary condition based on the Chant "fad" at the time.  Romantic
composers easily sold the most, even more than Mozart.  There's two
interactions with customers that stick out in my mind.  One involved a
woman who came in wanting to buy a recording of the Dvorak ninth symphony.
I lead her to the correct shelf and pointed out a few very fine versions
that I liked greatly and received excellent reviews.  She replied, "But
I don't know any of those conductors.  Don't you have Karajan?" OOPS!
I think I've just added fuel to one of Bob Draper's themes.

The other interaction was very gratifying to me and could have even been
better than it was.  Again, a woman entered the store and said she wanted
a disc of music that her daughter's not-yet-born child would appreciate.
I recommended the Brahms clarinet sonatas, and she went with my suggestion.
About two weeks later, she was back just to let me know that my
recommendation was fantastic.  She kept standing next to me, looking at me
with some kind of "awe" in her eyes and face.  I knew she was mine if I
went in that direction.  But, being a loyal husband, my only impulse was
to get as far away from her as possible.  So I told her I had to go back
to the warehouse section and unpack some boxes.  I never saw her again.
Sometimes, I wish I could be "unattached" for just one glorious day (and
night).

Don Satz