From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:29:25 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>I think Wes is correct.  Any poll results I've seen indicate that Baroque
>music is less popular than any subsequent time period.
>
>Concerning type of music, lieder seems to be the least popular.  ...

I reckon you'd find that organ music and madrigals lag a bit behind lieder
in popularity.

Don is right IMO that a text is crutial to appreciating a song.  Yet a
lot of lieder issues particularly at budget level do not include lyrics.
Perhaps surprisingly, I don't find the emotional content of a song a
problem.

I agree that the general CM population are not keen on reading.  Yet it is
essential to get full enjoyment of many pieces.  The average listener just
wants instant gratification with brain disengaged.  Maybe this explains why
certain composers are popular.

Bob Draper