From:
Andreas von Doebeln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 20:35:05 +0200
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have the Olympia versions of most of Glazunov's Symphonies.  I think they
>are excellent.  They do, however, require repeated listening in a way that
>is not necessary with Tchiakovsky.  That is the problem I think.

All serious music requires repeated listening:  those who claim different
don't understand much about serious music.  For Glazunov, I take it you say
his idiom isn't that clear as Tjajkovskijs, self invented always brilliant
one, but I think it could be easy to fool oneself on Tjajkovskijs music;
it *is* more quirky then one thinks on first hearing!  And Glazunovs
symphonies are excellent, Yes!

>In addition, I'd like to plug the excellent Naxos series of G's orchestral
>works.  The tone poems are nice, but 'The King Of The Jews' is a
>revelation.  It's a very approachable enjoyable work.

There is a very fine rather new issue of "Tsar Iydetsky" on CHANDOS with
the Leningrad Philarmonic/Gennadi Roszdestsvensky.

Martin Pitchon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>He has very very stupid and unsubstantial works also...  the waltz
>concertos, some ballet after Balzac I don't remember.  But, I like Coke
>sometimes.  Nevertheless, his pupil, Shostakovitch dedicated his first
>symphony to Glazounov, an alcoholic and temendous man...(I'm speaking
>about Alexandre not abour Dmitri).  Nevertheless a Master.

Rougondjougoudjoou!!!  Glazunov has no "very very stupid works", not
even "very stupid works", nor "stupid works", however I am not going
to drive this procedure further, because "works" he has, fortunatelly.
And we can be glad he was such hardworking man, with all energy he used
on his conservatory we can be glad there are works at all!  Remember
this: Glazunov visited during his period as headmaster for the Leningrad
Conservatory every - every - students performance.  This is a dull and
difficult job; dull to hear all bad musicians, difficult to properly tell
them how bad they are.  Sjostakovitj provide us with this info, he had
checked the attendinglists.  No, actually, a half performance is missing:
It was when Prokofijevs "Scytic Suite" was performed, and Glazunov, who
wouldn't leave if not in great danger, left, simply because he was afraid
his ears should be destroyed.  After the concert the drummer showed
Sjostakovitj that the timpaniskin was broken.

Glazunovs alcoholism is not just rumours, but as all rumours it tend to
be overexaggerated.  He could execute his work although he drank some, and
he composed a lot of beautiful music, so he might not have been a heavy
drinker.  It was Dimitrij Sjostakovitj father who provided him with
alcoholics btw.  He was not like Mussorgskij who died from drinking too
much.

Andreas von Doebeln