From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 15:54:18 -0400
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]> writes in support
of low opinion of Nielsen's 6th:

>Couldn't agree more.  I have the Sony recording of the 3rd and the 5th
>by the NY Philharmonic/Bernstein and though I can't claim to be a Nielsen
>acolyte, I _do_ like those recordings.  The music's fairly accessible, I'd
>say, and the performance of it deft and enthusiastic.

I happen to very much like Bernstein's performance with the NYP of
Nielsen's 3rd and only a little less of his 4th and 5th, which makes it
all the more tragic that Bernstein suffered from ADD when it came to giving
the really great modern composers a lift.  He wooed Nielsen and walked away
just as he did with Ives.  That's why he leaves no tradition behind.  There
are no Bernstein successors.

Andrew E. Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Standing Up For Nielsen