From:
John Wiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 04:47:14 -0400
Karl Miller wrote [in part]:

>.... I guess I still think that public broadcasting should explore things
>not likely to be offered on commercial stations.

I guess I agree with you up to a point, but do you think that public
broadcasting should be strictly confined to such things?

>One more reason why I am against public funding for public broadcasting...
>from what I can tell, they really don't (I know I am opening myself up
>for hate mail) offer much that isn't commercially viable.

Without taking direct issue, Karl, where is the commercial competition
for the subject matter customary to public broadcasting? I'm particularly
interested to know where the commercial classical-music stations are,
>>>outside of major market areas<<< and whether they actually offer
anything directly comparable to the few surviving music programs in the
NPR orbit.

John Wiser