From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:55:59 +1000
From: Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

>While I don't know about Eyes Wide Shut, I believe Ligeti's music got
>into 2001 by accident.  The story that I recall was North was working on
>the score and temp tracks were set up by someone doing some editing.  That
>individual's choices remained.  North didn't even know about the situation
>until he was in the theater watching the film.  North's score has been
>recorded, conducted by Goldsmith.

Close; but not quite.

Following his usual SOP, Kubrick put together his own temp track; & fell
in love with it (neither the first or the last time this has happened; &
the reason why US-American composers in particular end up ripping off so
blatantly classical scores: if the director or producer - star even, in
some cases - cuts the film to Barber the soundtrack had better end up
sounding as close to Barber as you can get without getting sued).  I'm
pretty sure this was also the last time the man bothered with a
commissioned score at all.

(Speaking of ripoffs: the otherwise excellent BBC space series The
Planets - currently running on Australian TV - features one of the best
pastiches of Alan Hovhaness not actually written by the composer himself...
presumably they got the sound idea from Carl Sagan's Cosmos series, which
included a loop from the Vishnu symphony on the soundtrack).

At least the composer to the fun UK TV mystery series Jonathon Creek -
can't remember his name offhand - had the decency to call his score
Variations on a Theme of Saint-Saens...  the theme being Danse Macabre,
if you haven't seen the series....

All the best,

Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>