From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:40:33 +0000
William Jenks writes:

>I'd like to add to my Haydn symphony collection, and I'm looking for
>some advice/recommendations.  My taste runs to the HIP side, perhaps more
>specifically to the small-orchestra side.  ...

You have to ask yourself some questions here, besides whether you prefer
HIP or not.  How deep does your passion for Haydn run? And hence, how many
of his works are you ultimately going to purchase? Also, how deep are your
pockets?

I'm a Haydn nut so I'm trying to collect everything the man ever wrote in
multiple versions.  However, the average collector would not want even all
the symphonies.

You might build your collection piecemeal purchasing recordings from
various artists.  But then you'll end up paying more and probably
duplicating works on different discs.

If you decide to go for a complete set of the symphonies there are really
only three choices: Dorati, Goodman and Hogwood.

Dorati is available now in mid-priced boxed sets at around 180 ($250) in
the UK probably less in the US.  These are modern performances and the
sound quality varies, quite hissy in places.

Goodman has finished his Haydn series.  This is HIP but his scholars
have given different advice from those of Hogwood.  Goodman features a
Harpsichord continuo throughout all the symphonies (as does Dorati).  But
the latest thinking is that it shouldn't be there.  I don't find it a
problem myself.  The discs in this series are available individually at
upper mid price (10 in UK).  Performance and sound quality are excellent.
I had one disc from the series that had CD corosion caused by the paint
damaging the serface.  Hyperion exchanged it without a problem.

In 1989 I went to hear Christopher Hogwood give a talk about Haydn and
London at the British Museum.  He was promoting his coming Haydn complete
symphonies series.  Ten years on less than 2/3rds of the symphonies have
been released.  These discs have superb sound quality (I actually met the
girl doing the editing so I know the care taken).  Some critics say the
peformances sound thin without keyboard.  I disagree it's a great, but
sometimes idiosyncratic series.  The problem is that this series is being
released in boxed sets of 3 discs.  In the UK these retail at the
astonishingly high price of around 45!!  Further, often because of all the
repeats be done he does only gets two symphonies on a disc whereas others
get three.  So the price per symphony is huge.

Another factor to bear in mind with both these series is that sooner or
later the record companies are going to box them at lower-mid or budget
price.  So it might be better to wait.  But it could be years (decades in
Hogwoods case).  (Actually I have a feeling that the Goodman is already on
offer, but not a very low price)

If you intend buying piecemeal, it's already been said how good Davis' set
is (weird sound on no91 though).  Beyond that it"s worth having a Penguin
Guide handy.

Bob Draper