From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:12:07 -0400
William Jenks wrote:

>I'd like to add to my Haydn symphony collection, and I'm looking for
>some advice/recommendations.  My taste runs to the HIP side, perhaps more
>specifically to the small-orchestra side.  I've got one of the Philips Duo
>disks of Londons with Davis.  I've also got a "Sturm and Drang" set from
>L'Archibudelli.  Leaving other issues aside, I clearly prefer the
>L'Archibudelli "sound."

Is it possible that the S&D set you mention are one of the CBS recordings
by the defunct "L'Estro Armonico", led by Derek Solomons? These are most
certainly small side performances, approximating the forces that Haydn was
known to have at his disposal at Esterhazy.

It's a pretty good set, with some absolutely stunning brass and wind
playing in the "larger" symphonies.  Unfortunately, I've only occasionally
seen them around on CD.  Pinnock is a reasonable alternative to Solomons,
perhaps moreso than Hogwood.

Other folks have made good recommendations for the later symphonies, so
I'll leave my contribution thus.

Bill H.