From:
Stuart Karow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:57:06 -0700
I have just listened to a new HIP recording of the Requiem:

Conductor: Frans Bruggen
Ensemble: Netherlands Chamber Choir/ Orchestra of the 18th Cent.
Label: Glossa
Catalogue #: 921105 (purchased as a import from Borders,$16.99)

The recording was made in 03/98 at the Tokyo Art Space.  I found the
orchestra to play beautifully, with a great level of excitement and
emotion.  The choral parts sounded heavenly and the acoustics of the hall
came across very well on the recording.  I contrasted this recording to
another, relatively new HIP recording done by Jordi Savall/Capella Reial
Catalunya & the Concert Nation, on Auvidis.  I did not find this recording
enjoyable, with the strings sounding strident and the ensemple sounding
like a small chamber group in a small venue.

The Bruggen is my first copy to own of Mozart's Requiem.  As a relatively
new collector of CM, many might feel I should start with one of the
standard recordings, but I found that this recording to have the emotinal
impact that Don Satz so often expresses about many HIP performances.  By
the way, Bruggen is the conductor that originally turned me onto HIP
performances with his Haydn and Schubert.  If

"Stuart Karow" <[log in to unmask]>