From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 21:44:40 -0700
Speaking of Dutoit, Donald Satz writes:

>The performance itself?  Argerich is fantastic, but Dutoit is his usually
>routine self.  I don't have many Dutoit recordings, but I'm at a loss to
>figure out how his reputation has been attained.  I would like to get an
>excellent recording of his.  Anything out there?

Oh, Don--where do I start?

His Ravel series is very very special to me--performance and recording.
The interpretations are so cool and elegant, yet phrases are lovingly
handled.  Solo work, which occurs so frequenly in Ravel is always
beautifully done.  (I believe that an exceptional group of principals had,
for whatever reason, assembled in Montreal in the early 80's.) Highlights
for me include "Daphnis et..." the piano concerti, and the "Mother Goose
suite"--esp the closing section.  These works are now available as a
specially-priced 4-cd set.

Also check out Berlioz' "Damnation of Faust." IIRC you don't care for
opera, but this work is more a series of scenes, like an oratorio.  Lots
of pretty orchestration, classically-oriented tunes and harp filagree.
(sp?) Did not like "Trojans"--lasted longer than I did!

Some other winners are Kodaly's "Hary Janos" Suite--you can practically
reach out and touch the sound--beautiful.  I also like his Poulenc--Organ
and Piano Concerti.  and as I glance over at my collection I also have to
mention Holst's "Planets"--what an organ sound.  OH and Saint Saens' Organ
Symphony.  (mid-price!)

Very surprised that I was not as delighted with Dutoit's Debussy.  Too cool
for my taste.  Jarvi and Abbado and Rattle do much better w/ Prokofiev and
Bartok.  Didn't like the Chopin concerti, but I also didn't like Bolet
doing them--has he heard of a sustain pedal?  (I know, taste.)

John Smyth