From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 12:35:57 -0700
I apologize in advance for the rather strange question, and -- especially
-- why *I* (who was there) should ask it, but it looks like a long weekend,
so somebody may want to help me fill in the blanks.  Replies privately or
to the list, as you see fit.  And thank you in advance.

Here's the question:  How was Bartok's music treated in Hungary between
1945 and 1956?

I have only a very young man's vague personal recollection of the music
scene there in the mid 'Fifties, and I need some specifics:

* Was he in disfavor, officially or otherwise?

* How did the situation change with the Communist takeover (well,
`election'), in 1948?

* Were the quartets and violin sonata `forbidden' until just before the
revolution ('56)?

* Did Kodaly fight for performances of Bartok and was he successful at
all? (What I remember, vaguely, is that I heard Bartok at the Franz Liszt
Academy but not at public concerts -- I may be wrong.)

Many thanks again. Cheers, Janos
[log in to unmask] (text only)