From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 11:01:40 EDT
Tom Connor writes:

>So, to shorten the story, I put the CD on.  There are 23 sections to the
>ballet.  Guess what.  Some 'person' seems to have decided each section
>should be separated by a heart beat, perhaps slightly less at some
>sections, but still a distinct pause.  Yes, where on my vinyl there is
>music and continuity between sections except for sections 12 and 13, there
>is not on the CD.  There are 23 separate sections.  While this time I do
>not have the urge to stand 23 times, instead I am fighting an urge to throw
>things.

It may be that the problem is your CD player.  Sometimes when a piece of
music is one movement contain several distinct tracks, the CD player will
pause at the moment of transition.  I have some CD players where the change
is not noticable and other players that willl pause.  Only you would know
how your CD player behaves.  You could test if with another piece of music
with several seques within a movement or an act if you are listening to
Opera.  Beethoven's 5th and 6th Symphonies and the Seventh of Sibelius
come to mind.  If the transitions are not noticeable on your player than
the problem lies with the CD reissue.  If there are pauses then trying
listening to your Daphnes & Chloe disk on a different CD player.

Is this the "Living Stereo" incarnation? I have never heard it but I have
heard great things about it and am thinking about hunting down another
version of this piece.

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)