From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 08:05:13 +0200
James Zehm and Jim Tobin discussed Beethoven's "antisemitism":

>>Beethoven was also an antisemit[e],
>
>If true, that would undercut my assertion distressingly, but I don't
>recall any evidence of antisemitism in his correspondence, where I assume
>he would have expressed such sentiments if he held them.  ...

Exactly, you're completely right, Jim.  I've read all Beethoven's letters
and I see no reason for such a serious charge.  Yes, he once wrote to a
publisher that he and the publisher surely would find a compromis, since
they both were "no Italians, nor Jews".  He also disliked kosher food,
but I also do.  I hope that this is not a reason to charge me of being an
antisemite.  On the other hand, when in Vienna a new synagoge was built,
Beethoven pondered over writing music for this event.  Nothing came from
it, but the conversation books clearly show his interest.  Beethoven was as
"antisemitic" as most of his contemporaries, but by no means in our sense
of the word!  Some regrettable events DID happen since Beethoven's days...

Regards,
Joyce Maier ([log in to unmask])