From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 15:15:16 -0400
D. Stephen Heersin wrote:

>Classical music is not as readily accessible to the general population as
>is popular music, and that some training, self-taught or not, is almost
>always a prerequisite to its fullest enjoyment.

This is one of those statements that, I think, is true in one sense
and not true in another.  Take the latter first.  The approach to "music
appreciation" that was traditionally so common was absolutely deadly:
"First you take a course or two in music theory, history, etc., and after
you pass you get a certificate which entitles you to listen properly to
classical music." (I exaggerate, of course, but not much.) No wonder so
many people eventually decided that any kind of music you needed some kind
of academic degree to be able to listen to was not worth the effort.

The sense in which it is true that "some training" is needed to enjoy CM
is that most people are not used to listening to this kind of music, and
need some orientation to what is going on.  But I think it is important
for people newly approaching this music to enjoy it first, whether
"incompletely" or not, and then look for a deeper understanding out of
their own curiosity, rather than being pushed to listen to it "because it's
good for them" and getting the idea that they have to go through an
academic process before they are worthy to be considered listeners.

The current "play Mozart to your baby to make it a genius" trend sets my
teeth on edge because it only reinforces the notion that it is music that
only geniuses can like.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]