From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 07:32:00 +1000
Walter Meyer wrote of Mozart's D Minor Piano Concerto:

>After the tempestuous first movement, and the delicately poignant second,
>the last movement risks being anticlimactic, like IMO, the final movement
>to Mozart's c minor concerto.

I agree with Walter on this (and the rest of his post).  I listened to
the concerto last night and noted that the minor-flavoured cadenza is
immediately followed by the "frivolous" theme to the end.  I wondered too
about the very simple, almost banal, little trumpet phrase in the closing
pages.

Even more than either the D Minor or C Minor concertos, I think Mozart is
darker - even bleak - in the slow movements of the 9th and 23rd concertos .

Richard Pennycuick