From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 18:04:26 PDT
A little history.  Ulvi Yurtsever started off the first inning of play
with his view that Mozart's music displayed a high level of uneveness.  In
the bottom of the first, I countered with the opposite view.  Not one to
shrink from a 9 inning game, Ulvi has provided, in the top of the 2nd, two
examples of this uneveness.  In citing one of them, Ulvi mentioned

>...the last movement of the D minor piano concerto, where a particularly
>frivolous new theme tears into the otherwise tight fabric of the musical
>argument.

As I prepare to bat in the bottom the 2nd, I realize that Ulvi and I are
playing a somewhat different game.  I was thinking only in terms of the
overall quality of an entire work; Ulvi is "dissecting" a little from
within.  Yes, this frivolous theme is a "loser".  However, we're all human.
Any composer, and likely every large scale work, could be picked apart to
recognize the deviations from perfection.

For what it's worth, I like the 3rd movement of the D minor, although
that particular theme detracts from the whole.  I'm listening to it right
now - it's not a coincidence.  I have every reason to believe that Annie
Fischer liked it also.

So, my bottom of the 2nd strategy is to adopt a "broad" view where an
entire work gets one opinion, and reject a "micro" view where all the
little pieces are closely looked at and rated.

Will Ulvi step to the plate in the top of the 3rd inning with a
continuation of "micro" examples? Will he become "macro" man and slam
entire works? Will he respond at all or just leave the stadium early to
beat the crowds?

As the anticipation mounts, ESPN 2 has contracted to air the rest of the
game.  Ulvi must come through now - the stakes are high.  National TV
exposure is what we always wanted.  I'm going to use it as a launching pad
for a nationally syndicated "Bach Reruns" show with critical commentary
provided by Jonathan Ellis and John Dalmas.  The last ten minutes of each
show will be devoted to the "sexual fantasies of classical musicians" -
I'll handle that commentary.  We're finally going to find out what those
folks are thinking about when their instruments are at rest.  Ulvi, the
floor is yours.

Don Satz