From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 15:46:52 -0500
Uncle Dave Lewis writes of Ballet mecanique:

>For his most famous work, the "Ballet Mecanique" there are currently two
>very different recordings of the work in as many incarnations.  The 1927
>New York vesion is heard as part of a concert recording on MusicMasters
>with the New Palais Royale Orchestra under the direction of Maurice Peress
>(MusicMasters 60794).  This is the only recording of something approaching
>the original version, and as such reccomends itself.  It is also what I
>call the "kitchen sink" version- it has everything in it. ..
>
>While the earlier version seems
>more experimental and even "post-modern", the revision is clearer and
>altogther more purposeful in design, and even seems more "mechanichal".

This is why horses race.  I much prefer this version to the 1954 revision.
To me, it's one of the most amazing works of the century - not for the
show-biz effects, but for its incredible use of silence.  I find the
revision far less interesting.  If I speculated, I would say that Antheil's
adaptation of neo-classicism distanced him too far from his Twenties'
musical point of view.  On the other hand, I do prefer the revision of the
Jazz Symphony, which, as Uncle Dave points out, gains from the tightening.

Steve Schwartz