From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 19:44:44 -0500
Ray Bayles:

>IMHO, Rozsa's music is great music, but it is not classical music and
>doesn't belong on this already crowded list.  Our radio station was once
>donated an entire collection of Rozsa's recorded music.  Amazing stuff.
>But not classical.

I hope you're kidding.  I can't believe of you, Ray, that you hold on
to the term "classical" as if it meant anything specific.  Rozsa's film
music certainly sounds classical to me.  The score to The Private Life of
Sherlock Holmes is based heavily on Rozsa's own violin concerto, recorded,
I believe, by Heifetz, last time I looked, a "classical" performer.  It's
not jazz.  Doesn't fall into most categories of pop.  Seems to be
incidental music, just like Mendelssohn, Elgar, Beethoven, Grieg, Nielsen,
and Bizet used to write.

This whole "real" music thread and its offshoots is beginning to remind me
of Margaret Dumont in Night at the Opera.

Steve Schwartz, who prefers to sit with the slobs