From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 10:37:46 +0200
James Zehm comments on my unintentional pun:

>>Mostly lacking becuse they seem to not understand the musical maxims
>>Shostakovich music needs...
>
>But Maxim Sjostakovitj understands Sjostakovitjs maxims.
>
>I'm not joking - listen to the Sjostakovitj Piano concerto nr.2 with Maxim
>and Dimitrij Jr.

Well, I disagree; of course arguing on who understands someones music the
best - for instance a son of the composer, is futile.  To my simple ears
and musical understanding, and after having studied Shostakovich music
intensely for many years - having heard most of Maxims recordings, (spread
on labels; Melodyia, Chandos, Collins, Supraphon and Philips) must say that
he takes his fathers notes far to literal, rendering his interpretations a
homogenic sence of lacking tension.  Maxim conducts the notes but he does
not hear the music, and still He is a quite skilful conductor, but wen
performing Dmitri Sr.'s music he haven't the ability to free himself from
the fact that he is the "genius" son.

I have heard both the recordings of the piano concertos (on Chandos) with
Dimitri jr.  and frankly they do not match the best in the field, having
heard any of DSCH own recordings are essential (on EMI and Relevation) or
on a budget fray; Alexeev on CFP.  To be honest, I belive that there is
place for more and better recording or two of Shostakovich piano concertos
by living pianists!

The only of Maxims efforts that I think cut thrugh, is his collaboration
with Heinrich Schiff on the Cello Concertos (Phillips), its not the best,
but ist a worthy contender for runner up..  Otherwise I do think that Maxim
is better wen he is recorded live.

Cheers,
peter lundin, gothenburg.se