From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 09:11:31 +0200
I am no expert in the area of piano music (nor in any other I suspect) but
isn't it time to remind everyone (and our N.  American friends especially)
of the outstanding version by their own Agustin Anievas?

The Liszt was always one of his great pieces and the EMI recording was
reissued on the 2CD Forte series with the complete Rachmaninov Preludes
and the Chopin b minor sonata Op58 (EMI 569527-2).

The additional reason that this is such a bargain stems from one of the
most outstanding versions of the complete Rachmaninov Preludes.  When
these were recorded EMI (it seemed) took fright at the Ashkenazy version
appearing and as a result they were only ever released on LP in Germany
and USA.  If I may take his name in vain for a moment I was assured by Tom
Deacon (then a colleague at Philips Classics - and no relation!) that the
Anievas Rachmaninov Preludes are exceptionally fine and actually, in his
opinion, the best version available.

After 20 years in academia Anievas has just retired from the position of
Professor & Chairman of the Piano Dept.  at NY's Brooklyn College.  One
hopes he may now resume his concert career as one of America's greatest
pianists.

John G. Deacon:   http://www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon